Android market share is growing quickly (18 months old only)
- 21 OEM's, 48 countries, 59 carriers involved.
- 100,000 Activation per day.
- Google is 2nd only to RIM in smartphone sales.
- Android is 1st in web/app usage.
- Browser support is great and easy to browse
- 50,000 apps in the Android marketplace.
Android 2.2 (beta) New features
- Speed: 2 to 2.5 times faster due to JIT compiler. (trace based JIT, startup time, before JIT , there is only interpreter ), JS improvement (V8 engine)
- Enterprise features, compete with RIM:)
- Microsoft Exchange friendly, Global address book lookup
- New APIs for device management - remote wipe, etc.
- Services for developers:
- Application data backup API, in addition to the installed applications backup
- Cloud to device messaging API. The message can also trigger Android intent. More improvement than IPhone Notification and RIM push
- Try to be Open and reuse existing standard and save bills for end users.
- Flash 10.1 support, Adobe Air
- Tethering & Portable Hotspot
Google TV is ambitious and the potential to revamp the TV watching, IPTV , xTV is all closed. like Apple
- 5 hours per day - the average amount of time an american spends in front of the TV.
- $70 billion - annual advertising spend on TV in the USA.
- 4 billion TV users worldwide. A larger market than either the mobile or PC markets.
- The web has transformed the PC and Mobiles spaces, but it has had very limited adoption in TV land. (IPTV is closed. You can only access the provider’s content)
- Current devices are closed.
- Goal of GOOGLE TV
- Less time finding, more watching. (what a shame for those cable company, hundreds of tv channels, whey not index those list and make it searchable?
- •searching for channels, and searching for shows themselves (including future results). Can schedule recordings directly from this interface
- –Google index tv times and contents then make it searchable.
- Special Protocol to control DVR
here is a snapshot of the TV search box. sorry for the poor camera.
- Control what you watch.
- Make the TV interesting.
- Make your TV more than a TV.
Web is on TV, check and buy Amazon Video or preview the trailer of your favorite show.
Netflix integration and recommendation.
Watch NBA TV and check the score statistics or gossip news? PIP. One Picture of TV, and another one for Browser. (Chrome , Flash ready, )